Thursday, July 22, 2010

Another Scan

I went in for my scheduled CT scan on July 19th. I'll get the results back on Monday. I completely forgot about it until I remembered I had to update my blog. I suppose that shows I really am moving on. Now when I think about my experience, I am more likely to feel like someone who has overcome a challenge than someone who was or is vulnerable. At the same time, I try to prepare myself for the possibility of getting bad news when I get scanned. Surprisingly, I'm not nervous the cancer will return. I'm afraid they'll find something else!

Before I started chemo, my heart was checked. One of the chemo drugs can cause heart damage and they like to make sure everything is OK before they get started. At that time, I learned I had a PFO (Patent Foramen Ovale). The short explanation is that all fetuses have a hole in their heart to speed cirulation. In 75% of people it closes up and in 25% of people it doesn't. It's usually not a problem and most people go their whole lives without knowing about it. However, there is an increased risk of stroke for people who have it.

Before being scanned, I am required to fill out a questionnaire that asked many questions including "Do you have a PFO?" (I suggested they add the words patent foramen ovale to the form and they did.) Since there is a chance that a patient could have a stroke when they inject contrast during a CT scan, they must first get permission from your doctor. And that can take time. It was suggested that I ask my doctor for a SIGNED business card saying that it is OK for me to receive contrast even with my PFO. I'll need to show it every time.

If you have a PFO, they have to make sure there are no bubbles in the liquid. Two people must check the contrast before it is injected into you. Personlly, since 25% of people have a hole in their heart and most don't even know they have it, I think it should be standard practice to have two people check it every time for every patient.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi Jamie!
I was going through some papers today and found your card with your blog info. Don't know if you remember me, I am John Lore's daughter, Cathy. We spoke at my beloved Uncle Arnie's funeral.

I am so glad to see that you are doing so well. Praying your CT comes out great, as I have faith it will.

Your story is so familiar to me, as I had Osteosarcoma and took the dreaded "Red Devil" Cisplatin...UGH! I also had Adriamycin which was no picnic either. 96 hr continuous drip every three weeks. I did end up with a torn heart valve as a side affect. Not a big problem, take meds and it's under control. It was a funny feeling to have my Cardiologist and my husband cheer for the news that I had the HV tear! I know they were actually cheering because it wasn't Congestive Heart Failure which is not uncommon amongst "our kind" ;-)
It was just kind of surreal to hear them celebrating a HV tear! LOL!

In Sept I will be 9 years from my diagnosis!!! 7 years from end of treatment, but I like the 9 yr idea better! :) I must say that you sport the bald head look much better than I did, though...LOL. We are both extremely blessed.

Hope you continue to have a fantastic and inspiring life.
XO-Cathy

Unknown said...

Hi James,

Thank you for your blog. I am a novice with ABVD (and Hodgkin!), having just started my treatment last week so I very much appreciate your insight and your cheerful sense of humor. Reading you has helped reduce my level of anxiety about upcoming unknowns. Thanks for this. A neighbour North of your border, Johanne