Thursday, May 22, 2008

The 12th Treatment

My 12th (and I hope final) treatment was on May 9th. It might have been the easiest one yet. Neither the blood draw, nor the infusion was painful and the time passed relatively quickly. Sometimes the Dacarbazine hurts it if is injected too quickly. The nurse seemed to adjust the pace just right and used an ice pack to cool down my arm and reduce discomfort.

Side effects have been relatively mild over the last two weeks. I had the mettalic taste in my mouth and some fatigue. I also had a night of constipation which was one night more than I wanted.

I saw my ENT today and he said that the remaining tissue where my adenoids used to be looks normal. I will have a biopsy in early June along with a PET CT scan next week. These tests will be used to determine if the treatment was successful. Then I'll go for doctor's appointments every 3 months and scans every 6 months for a number of years.

It's been a long six months but the time passed and now I'm done with the standard regimen. Once this round of tests has been completed, I'll be able to focus on moving forward and enjoying life day by day.

No comments: