Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Night before the First Treatment

I'm scheduled to receive 6 cycles (12 treatments) of chemotherapy starting tomorrow. The treatments are scheduled two weeks apart for the next six months. Some people receive 4 cycles (8 treatments) of chemotherapy along with radiation. Because the cancerous cells are located in the tissue that was attached to my adenoids, my doctor is trying to avoid giving me radiation. It could permanently dry out my salivary glands. My oncologists seem to be very experienced and I have a lot of confidence in them.

I've learned a lot about the power of positive thought, having a good attitude and prayer over the last couple of weeks. I'm doing my best to focus on the many positive aspects of my situation (such as the share luck of having found this during elective surgery at such an early stage). I'm also very thankful for the support of family, friends, coworkers and healthcare professionals at Melrose-Wakefield Hospital, the Massachusetts Eye & Ear Center and Mass General Hospital.

Now it's time for a good night's sleep to prepare for the coming battle and the path to a healthier me.

1 comment:

gayle13 said...

my husbands was found by accident too when he was being examined to have a rectal polyp removed and was found by an intern. his was found on the left side of the neck.
stage 1A. 4 cycles of abvd. he
s doing well. hair has thinned. but he continues to work out everyday at the ymca. not bad for a 65 year old. he has fatique at times but justs rests till it passes. you will do great.